Updated July 14 2017
The Wilson Tobs could not find a groove and fell to the Peninsula Pilots, 14-3, Friday at Historic Fleming Stadium.
The Tobs move to 2-5 on the second half of the season and 15-24 overall while the Pilots improve to 5-3 on the second half with a 21-15 overall record.
- The Pilots struck first in the third as they saw two runs cross the plate
- Peninsula added two more runs in the fifth inning off a home run to left field to take a 4-0 lead
- The Pilots hit their second home run of the game in the sixth to take a 5-0 lead
- Kyle Butler drove in the Tobs’ first run off a double to the left centerfield wall in the sixth
- The Pilots scored five runs in the seventh that increased their lead, 10-1
- The Tobs saw two runs cross the plate in the seventh to decrease the Pilots’ lead, 10-3
- The Pilots scored the last four runs of the game in the ninth which led to the game final, 14-3
- Butler hit a RBI double
- Hank Simpson threw one inning and tossed two strikeouts
The Tobs will head to Morehead City, N.C., Saturday to face off against the Morehead City Marlins. The Tobs will be back at Historic Fleming Stadium on Tuesday, July 18th against the Fayetteville Swampdogs. The gates will open at 6 p.m. with the first pitch slated at 7 p.m. On the 18th, it will be Tobs All You Can Eat Tuesday!
The Wilson Tobs enter their 21st season as an original member within the Coastal Plain League for the 2017 summer. The upcoming season for the Tobs will see an expanded community outreach effort, increased participation in helping the less fortunate and more exciting entertainment for the Wilson Community. We would like to dedicate each successful season to the Wilson Community, Coastal Plain League Organization, Host Families, Sponsors Partners and the Dedicated Fans throughout the city of Wilson. The Wilson Tobs have played host to over 100 alumni taken in the draft and have produced a dozen players who have gone on to play in the MLB, including Cy Young & MVP winner Justin Verlander. For more information on the Wilson Tobs, visit our website www.wilsontobs.com.The Coastal Plain League is the nation’s premier summer collegiate baseball league. Celebrating its 22nd season in 2018, the CPL features 16 teams playing in Georgia, North Carolina, South Carolina and Virginia. The CPL has had over 1,450 alumni drafted and 109 of those – including 2011 AL MVP and Cy Young winner Justin Verlander – make their Major League debut; while another notable alum – Russell Wilson – won Super Bowl XLVIII. For more information on the Coastal Plain League, please visit the league website at www.coastalplain.com and follow us via Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Snapchat @CPLBaseball..Contact:
Eric Evans IIPhone: