Updated July 20 2017
The Wilson Tobs fell to the Martinsville Mustangs, 2-15 on Thursday at Historic Fleming Stadium.
The Tobs move to 2-8 and 16-27 overall after the game while the Mustangs improve to 3-12 and 17-25 on the season.
- Shane Shepard drove in the first run of the game off a double to the right field wall which scored Roberto Rivera in the first
- Josh Ladowski hit a line drive up the middle that drove in Shepard in the first to give the Tobs an early 2-0 lead
- A sacrifice fly to right field scores one for the Mustangs in the second
- In the fourth, an error throw to third base on the steal attempt allowed Martinsville to even up the score at 2
- The Mustangs plated four runs in the fifth to take the lead, 6-2
- Martinsville scored 2 runs in the sixth, seventh and eighth innings to take a 12-2 lead
- The Mustangs added their final three runs in the ninth to increase their lead, 15-2
- Austin Fisher hit a RBI single that scored Jake Holtzapple which led to the final score, 15-3
- Shepard went 2-for-3 with a walk, run scored, a double and a RBI
- Holtzapple went 2-for-3 with a double, walk, run scored and a stolen base
The Tobs will be back in action on Friday at 7 p.m. at Historic Fleming Stadium against the Peninsula Pilots. At the park, it will be Faith and Family Night!
The Wilson Tobs enter their 21st season as an original member within the Coastal Plain League for the 2017 summer. The upcoming season for the Tobs will see an expanded community outreach effort, increased participation in helping the less fortunate and more exciting entertainment for the Wilson Community. We would like to dedicate each successful season to the Wilson Community, Coastal Plain League Organization, Host Families, Sponsors Partners and the Dedicated Fans throughout the city of Wilson. The Wilson Tobs have played host to over 100 alumni taken in the draft and have produced a dozen players who have gone on to play in the MLB, including Cy Young & MVP winner Justin Verlander. For more information on the Wilson Tobs, visit our website www.wilsontobs.com.The Coastal Plain League is the nation’s premier summer collegiate baseball league. Celebrating its 22nd season in 2018, the CPL features 16 teams playing in Georgia, North Carolina, South Carolina and Virginia. The CPL has had over 1,450 alumni drafted and 109 of those – including 2011 AL MVP and Cy Young winner Justin Verlander – make their Major League debut; while another notable alum – Russell Wilson – won Super Bowl XLVIII. For more information on the Coastal Plain League, please visit the league website at www.coastalplain.com and follow us via Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Snapchat @CPLBaseball..Contact:
Eric Evans IIPhone: