The Coastal Plain League 2009 All-Star Fan Fest and All-Star Game will be hosted by the Wilmington Sharks on July 20th and 21st at Buck Hardee Field in Wilmington, N.C.
The two-day event will feature a Fan Fest on the night before the All-Star Game, highlighted by a All-Star Home Run Derby. The league’s annual All-Star luncheon and All-Star Game will take place the following day. There will be several opportunities for fans to interact with the All-Stars during the event.
How Players Are Selected:
The 2009 Coastal Plain League All-Star Teams will be voted upon by each of the 14 head coaches and one media representative for each club. Possible All-Star candidates will be listed by position on their respective divisional (North, South, West) ballot, of which the coaches and media will vote from. Head coaches will not be allowed to vote for their own players, while Media reps will. The votes will be tallied and the 54 All-Stars will be known.
Then, the two All-Star head coaches will take part in a draft to see which team (National or American) each All-Star player will end up on. The All-Star head coach with the highest winning percentage in the first half of the regular season will pick first and via a teleconference with the League office, the two coaches will go back and forth filling their rosters until the last player is taken.
How Coaches Are Selected:
The 2009 Coastal Plain League All-Star Coaches will be determined based on First-Half Champions and overall winning percentage in the first half. The two All-Star head coaches will be the two coaches with the best overall winning percentage in the first half and who also won their respective division’s First-Half championship. The remaining coach from the other divisional First-Half championship team will be an assistant for one of the two All-Star teams based on geographics.
Out of the remaining coaches, the one with the next best overall winning percentage in the first half will be the other assistant coach. Finally, the remaining head coaches from the remaining CPL clubs not represented yet will all serve as an assistant for one of the two All-Star teams.
- Box Seat: $8
- General Admission: $5
- Children under 5: Free
2009 Home Run Derby Rules:
- Three Rounds, Eight (8) outs per round (round 1&2) / Ten (10) outs (round 3)
- Eight (8) Hitters per All-Star Team
- Either a Home Run or it’s an Out
- Can use aluminum bats for two (2) outs per round
- Home runs with wood = 3 points
- Home runs with aluminum = 1 point
- Points from every round rollover to the next round.
Round 1: Eight (8) hitters from the National and Eight (8) from the American
- Top three (3) hitters from both clubs advance to next round
Round 2: Three (3) hitters from the National and Three (3) from the American
- Top two (2) hitters, regardless of All-Star team, advance to final round
Round 3 (Championship Round): Top two hitters in derby thus far
- Hitter with the most total points after round three (points from rounds 1-3 combined) is crowned Champion
National All-Star Participants:
1) Randolph Oduber (Gastonia Grizzlies and Western Oklahoma State)
2) Stewart Ijames (Thomasville HiToms and Louisville)
3) Greyson Schram (Gastonia Grizzlies and Concord University)
4) Phil Cerreto (Martinsville Mustangs and Longwood)
5) Gerard Hall (Edenton Steamers and Old Dominion)
6) Ronnie Shaban (Petersburg Generals and Virginia Tech)
7) Sam DiMatteo (Florence RedWolves and California of Pennsylvania)
8) Josh Whitaker (Outer Banks Daredevils and Kennesaw State)
American All-Star Participants:
1) Jake Magner (Edenton Steamers and North Dakota)
2) Adam Eggemeyer (Wilmington Sharks and SIU Edwardsville)
3) Barrett Kleinknecht (Florence RedWolves and Francis Marion)
4) Craige Lyerly (Asheboro Copperheads and Catawba)
5) Konstantine Diamaduros (Forest City Owls and Wofford)
6) Matt Skirving (Fayetteville SwampDogs and Eastern Michigan)
7) Jake McAloose (Peninsula Pilots and Old Dominion)
8) Brendan Rowland (Fayetteville SwampDogs and Albany)
Key Dates and Releases:
Key Dates and Releases:
- 2009 CPL All-Star Coaches Announced press release - Monday, July 13 at 11 a.m.
- 2009 National CPL All-Star Team Announced press release - Tuesday, July 14 at 11 a.m.
- 2009 American CPL All-Star Team Announced press release - Wednesday, July 15 at 11 a.m.
- 2009 All-Star Umpires Announced - Thursday, July 16 at 11 a.m.
- 2009 All-Star Home Run Derby Contestants Announced - Thursday, July 16 at 11 a.m.
Fan Fest - Monday, July 20th:
- Gates open - 5:00 p.m.
- Team workouts and autograph sessions
- Wilmington Police Dept. vs. Wilmington Fire Dept. Softball Game
- CPL All-Star Home Run Derby
All-Star Game - Tuesday, July 21st:
- First pitch - 7:05 p.m.
- Award Ceremony after the game