2006 All-Star Game
The Coastal Plain League 2006 All-Star Fan Fest and All-Star Game was hosted by the Fayetteville SwampDogs on July 17th and 18th at the Swamp in J.P. Riddle Stadium in Fayetteville, N.C.
The CPL All-Star Game festivities lasted two days and featured a Fan Fest on the night before the All-Star Game. The Fan Fest included a Home Run Derby and VIP reception. Fayetteville’s Jason Morales (UNC-Pembroke) took home the derby crown. The league’s annual All-Star Luncheon and All-Star Game took place the following day.
A special post-game fireworks show followed the All-Star Home Run Derby on July 17th, and there were several opportunities for fans to interact with the All-Stars during the two-day event.
How Players Are Selected:
The 2006 Coastal Plain League All-Star Teams will be voted upon by each of the 15 head coaches and one media representative for each club. Possible All-Star candidates will be listed by position on their respective divisional (North, South, West) ballot, of which the coaches and media will vote from. The votes will be tallied and the 46 All-Stars will be known.
Then, the two All-Star head coaches will take part in a draft to see which team (National or American) each All-Star player will end up on. There will be a coin toss between the two coaches and via a teleconference with the League office, the two coaches will go back and forth filling their rosters until the last player is taken.
How Coaches Are Selected:
The 2006 Coastal Plain League All-Star Coaches will be determined bases on First-Half Champions and overall winning percentage in the first half. The two All-Star head coaches will be the two coaches with the best overall winning percentage in the first half and who also won their respective division’s First-Half championship. The remaining coach from the other divisional First-Half championship team will be an assistant for one of the two All-Star teams based on geographics.
Out of the remaining coaches, the one with the next best overall winning percentage in the first half will be the other assistant coach. Also, the head coach of the host team (this year it’s Fayetteville) will serve as an assistant for the All-Star team that fits with his geographics should that coach not be one of the above-mentioned coaches.
2006 Home Run Derby Rules:
- Three Rounds, Eight (8) outs per round
- Eight (8) Hitters per All-Star Team
- Either a Home Run or it’s an Out
- Can use aluminum bats for two (2) outs per round
- Home runs with wood = 3 points
- Home runs with aluminum = 1 point
Round 1: Eight (8) hitters from the National and Eight (8) from the American
- Top three (3) hitters from both clubs advance to next round
Round 2: Three (3) hitters from the National and Three (3) from the American
- Top one (1) hitter from both clubs advances to final round
Round 3 (Championship Round): Top hitters from the National and American teams
- Hitter with the most total points in round three from all three rounds combined is crowned Champion
National All-Star Participants:
1) Zach Brown (The Citadel) - Thomasville
2) Matt Leake (Tennessee Wesleyan) - Martinsville
3) Bucky Strickland (Angelo State) - Edenton
4) Jerry Sands (Catawba College) - Spartanburg
5) Jimmy Gallagher (Duke) - Peninsula
6) Brendon Hitchcock (Binghampton) - Edenton
7) Hans Stancil (Ga. Coll. & State Univ.) - Martinsville
8) Keion Graves (Spartanburg Methodist) - Spartanburg
American All-Star Participants:
1) Kyle Enders (South Carolina) - Gastonia
2) C.J. Ziegler (Arizona) - Asheboro
3) Charlie Gamble (NC A&T) - Fayetteville
4) Ricky Owens (Belhaven College) - Florence
5) Jason Morales (UNC-Pembroke) - Fayetteville
6) Jeff Cunningham (South Alabama) - Fayetteville
7) Trent Ashcraft (East Carolina) - Florence
8) Wilson Boyd (Clemson) - Thomasville
- CPL All-Star Coaches Announced: Thursday, July 6th at 11 a.m.
CPL All-Star Coaches Announced press release
- National CPL All-Star Team Announced: Wednesday, July 12th at 11 a.m.
National CPL All-Star Team Announced press release
- American CPL All-Star Team Announced: Thursday, July 13th at 11 a.m.
American CPL All-Star Team Announced press release
- Florence’s Barnett Replaces Spartanburg’s Snyder On American All-Star Team
- All-Star Umpires Announced: Friday, July 14th at 11 a.m.
CPL All-Star Umpires Announced press release
Fan Fest - Monday, July 17th:
- Gates Open at 5:30 p.m.
- National All-Star Team works out, American All-Star Team signs autographs at 5:45-6:30 p.m.
- American All-Star Team works out, National All-Star Team signs autographs at 6:30-7:15 p.m.
- Home Run Derby - 7:30 p.m.
- Award Ceremony and Fireworks following the Home Run Derby
All-Star Game - Tuesday, July 18th:
- Brooke McLaurin - Miss North Carolina - sings the National Anthem
- First pitch is at 7:05 p.m.
- Award Ceremony after the game
Rawlings Offensive Player of the 2006 Coastal Plain League All-Star Game:
Nate Parks (Virginia Tech) Outer Banks Daredevils
Rawlings Defensive Player of the 2006 Coastal Plain League All-Star Game:
Gino Matias (St. John’s) New Bern River Rats